Project Based CV vs Traditional CV

Hey, Product people!

I’ve been looking at some CVs for a new designer and I got curious.

What is the preferred CV style for people who recruit Product Owner/Manager?

Should the CV be Project-based?
I mean like Project X - 4 months duration - accomplished Y

Or Traditional CVs?
Company name - years employed - achieved Y?

Should we add a project portfolio as designers do?

I’d love to hear your thoughts on this subject!

Best regards,

1 Like

@rachael Do you have any insights for Henrique here, would love to hear your thoughts on this :slight_smile:

Hi @h.auler,

If you are transitioning into Product Management, I recommend a functional resume. The goal should be for every element of your resume to show why you are directly qualified for the role or set you apart from other applicants. The more the resume can show the outcomes or accomplishments of your work, the better.

1 Like

Hey @rachael thanks for the feedback and sorry for the late reply.

I’m currently in an in-between situation that makes building a resume tricky.

I have about 2 years of experience managing products, but both my experiences were as “surrogate” PO inside software houses that offered my expertise for companies that lacked the maturity to have a PO.

This is something that makes my resume looks weird as I have managed more than 10 different products from multiple industry segments while having only 2 years of experience.

How would one showcase a resume like that?

By the way, I really appreciate how engaged this community is, hopefully it becomes the main Product people HUB :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I highly recommend a functional resume if you’ve done product work without the title. It helps put the emphasis on what you can do versus what your job responsibilities were.

Here are some examples that I found online Functional Resume: Everything You Need to Know

1 Like