AMA with Headspace Health Sr Director of Product, Vasudha Mithal on Friday, July 1st at 10:30 PT

AskMeAnything session with Vasudha Mithal, Senior Director of Product at Headspace Health happening Friday, July 1st, 10:30 AM PT

Welcome to our bi-weekly AMA session at Launch! with Vasudha Mithal, Senior Director of Product at Headspace Health.

A Product Manager’s forte is asking great questions! Take this opportunity to practice a core PM skill as you get your burning PM questions answered.

Please follow the outlined rules to ensure we all have an enjoyable and seamless session as we learn from Vasudha :slight_smile:

Meet The Speaker

Vasudha loves building products and working with teams that maintain high customer empathy and appreciate diversity. Her foundations are rooted in Computer Science nurtured with consulting experience and now creating an impact with product, business, and operational leadership.

Read her full bio here

AMA Guidelines :

• This is a 48 hr text-based live-chat event that happens every other Friday
  • Drop your questions when the thread goes live and get notified when the speaker joins Friday 10:30 PT :watch:
  • Please only ask one question by replying to this topic, using the green Reply button at the bottom.
  • Make sure your questions are clear and well-thought-out :thinking_face:
  • Please don’t ask more than one question, so everyone can get a chance :wink:
  • See if someone asked a similar question first and feel free to upvote with a :heart:
  • If there are a lot of questions and no answers, let’s wait until our speaker has responded to a couple, then submit a question :timer_clock:
  • Your host will highlight the responses so you can follow them :pushpin:
  • Please do not reply to anyone else’s post. The only purpose of replies here in this topic is to ask our speakers one question. If you’d like to discuss a related topic in more detail, feel free to create a new topic in the designated category!
  • Respect others :grinning:

Posts not following these guidelines may be removed to keep the Q&A flowing.

The content in this AMA is for educational purposes only and does not include any specific facts of the company the presenter is currently working for. The opinions expressed in this AMA are solely those of the presenter based on personal experiences.

1 Like

Hi Vasudha, thanks for your time!

Headspace has a Netflix series, how do you keep brand cohesion across multiple platforms?

What I mean is, that breaching out from the App and working with motion designers and voicing crew must have demanded a better brand cohesion organization.

I’m assuming that the “folder with logos, fonts, and brand guide” was not the answer, how did you communicate brand guidelines to keep it all “looking the same”, what challenges did you face and how did you overcome them?

Thank you!

1 Like

Hi Vasudha,

I love the Headspace app personally and as a product I love how it gradually introduces new content and features very elegantly over the years.

If you are involved with that, I’d love to know how you prioritise what to do next?

If not, could you share more about what your role at HH encompasses?

How do the three products within HH interact - is cross-usage a priority or is each relatively separate serving a different need/growing a different customer base?

Thank you
Monica

2 Likes

Thank you for the question, Monica. I appreciate your love for the Headspace app.

Let me speak first to my role at HH. I belong to the healthcare side of the business. Headspace and Ginger merged in Oct '21 to form Headspace Health. I belong to the prior Ginger org. My team is responsible for building our care platforms. This includes 1) the systems used by our care teams (coaches, clinicians) to deliver care, 2) operational tooling to run clinical operations, 3) healthcare billing, and 4) integrations with large healthcare systems such as Kaiser and Cigna.

In this role, the prioritization discussion encompasses a cross-prioritization across several functions at our company. While there are several standard prioritization frameworks (e.g. RICE), ultimately it boils down to what are the biggest problems that your company is trying to solve at the moment. Are we driving the right member outcomes (e.g. are we reducing their depression and anxiety scores)? Are we retaining and keeping our care teams happy and growing our network? Are we operationally efficient to keep our business viable? Do we have the infrastructure to unlock commercial deals and reach more people? You measure these, build a deep product and business sense for what is critical right now for your company’s success and prioritize. It is crucial to communicate with all stakeholders to keep a tab on pain points (not the solutions or features they request but the problems they are dealing with).

Monica, I know this is not exactly what you asked for but I hope it helps. Happy to share any other specifics!

2 Likes

Thanks for the question, Henrique! Love your focus on a very specific area of Headspace Health!

I am not the best person to speak to this. I am (just like you), constantly mesmerized by how our brand marketing and content production teams really come together on partneships like these. I am not very close to the details of that work, more like a consumer of their work :slight_smile:

I belong to the healthcare side of the business. Headspace and Ginger merged in Oct '21 to form Headspace Health. I belong to the prior Ginger org. My team is responsible for building our care platforms . This includes 1) the systems used by our care teams (coaches, clinicians) to deliver care, 2) operational tooling to run clinical operations, 3) healthcare billing, and 4) integrations with large healthcare systems such as Kaiser and Cigna. Happy to answer anything related to these topics!

1 Like

Thank you for sharing your insights and experience, awesome!

An area I find difficult to articulate at times is “show me example of where I have worked with engineering to come up with an alternate way to solve something or to redefine the scope to make sure it fits timeline or architecture”, can you speak to any such examples in your career where you have have to work work engineering?

2 Likes

Shanif, thank you for your question.

A way to think about these questions is “What is the core skill my interviewer is trying to assess me on?” This one is most likely looking for creative thinking, technical acumen and hard prioritization. A sample articulation is: “When we looked at the LoE for the entirety of a multi-quarter project, we were way over a reasonable timeline. Sat down with R&D partners to take a deep look at what were the most expensive sections and how critical were they to a project’s success. Expensive UX, a highly ambitious technical system (e.g. spinning up a new/modern security infra or authentication service) or fancy features. These are all areas to consider trimming down after weighing pros/cons.

Interviews are always a tricky time and require much mindfulness and presence. It is so common to feel a little stressed. I hope I provided a little help. Wish you all the best in your journey!

2 Likes

Hi Vasudha,
Hope all is well!

I come from a Data/BI background. Do you have any advice for me on transitioning into a Product Role? What kind of skills stand out on CV to hiring managers ?

Looking forward to hearing from you

1 Like

Hi Vasudha, Thanks for sharing your insights.
What is the best way to handle new opportunities that hint at potentially high user value but may not currently be a high priority for business? How often should one revisit/reassess such opportunities?

1 Like

Faris, thanks for your question.

Generally, where I’ve seen people best succeed in transitioning is when you change one dimension at a time. So, either change your company, role or industry. Trying to move across several things is hard (not impossible). In that context, the best shot is at trying for a product role within your existing company. Build relationships, try to stick around product work (e.g. exploratory analysis to help product teams prioritize, understand usage, measure impact, etc.) and ask mentors to let you drive some work (usually there is SO MUCH work everywhere that people are happy to get support! There are Data related product roles too (e.g. building data platforms). In the CV, anything you can highlight to indicate prioritization, analytics, strategy is useful too as that’s pretty central to a product role.

Career transitions are both an exciting and challenging phase. Wish you all the best in your journey!

2 Likes

Ram, thank you for your question.

That indeed is a tricky one. Ideally, you’d imagine that the business has some high priority that is tied to the user value. Those are relatively easier to prioritize. At the same time, there are several intuitive initiatives that enhance usability or some other element that is not necessarily delivering a business outcome. A way to stay ahead of those is to keep some carveout in your QTRly plan to deliver user value based on your product sense. It is very similar to how you might tackle tech debt. In the long-run, you should still assign these initiatives measurable value to get a better sense of prioritization later.

2 Likes

Before we go, do you have any final advice for aspiring Product Managers, @Vasudha?

THANK YOU so much for your time and wisdom! It was a pleasure having you on the channel today :rocket:

If you want to see the transcript of this AMA or any of our previous sessions, check out our blog later this week here. We also share talks and insights on all things Product Management :fire:

Hope you all have a great day! :star:

Hi @Vasudha , when it came to your prior work at Ginger, how did you 1) decide on which metrics were most important, and 2) what tools and systems did you create to keep track of those metrics?

Thanks for taking the time!

1 Like

Thanks for the question and for your help today, Zaina.

My one simple advice is to “love the problem you are working on more than you love the product”. It is truly important to stay attached to your problem (users, business and their pain-points) and not get too attached to your product. Your job is to fix the problem, which might involve tough decisions like even deprecating a product that you built.

Another thing is - there is a lot of stress that comes with this role. Make yourself and your mental health a priority!

2 Likes

Thanks for the question, Evan!

I’ve seen that metrics really shift the entire mindsets of product teams - so this indeed is a very important topic. My metrics thinking has always been guided by our company’s mission. Our company really focuses on delivering mental health outcomes for our members. We discuss ‘good churn’. Of course, user engagement is an important KPI but we care more about getting people better so they don’t need a coaching or clinical service anymore. On the provider side, it is really about provider retention, happiness and workflow efficiency. There are some standard healthcare metrics for billing system health (e.g. AR, claim denials, etc.), What is most important really depends on the state of the business!

We’ve primarily used Looker and Amplitude for our metrics.

I hope that helps!

2 Likes

Thank you for taking the time to speak to us today. As someone who is product curious and looking to make a pivot from operations over to Product, what sort of advice can you share? For someone starting out, would you recommend joining a smaller org (startup) or a medium to large sized organization to help refine the craft of product management? Thanks again for your insights

1 Like

Sebastian, thanks for the question. I have a rockstar PM on my team who switched from operations to product. While she was in Ops, she reflected so much structured thinking, and business sense that it was a no-brainer to get her on the product team when she expressed an interest. She was already partnering with product to get several operational problems resolved that she got exposure to design and engineering (never hand waived saying this is not my area).

As for the pivot, here is a response.

For someone starting in a product role, my experience was that it is useful to get exposure to a structured organization (to experience roadmapping, annual/QTRly planning, end-to-end GTM planning). No organization will be perfect but at least you’d know some example processes and figure out what works best for me. Then when you move to a smaller organization, you can replicate the process that you love.

I hope it helps!

2 Likes