AMA with Google, Product Leader, Sai Boddupalli on Friday, August 12th at 10:30 PT

AskMeAnything session with Sai Boddupallil, Product Leader at Google happening Friday, August 12th, 10:30 AM PT

:wave:t4: We are BACK! Welcome to our bi-weekly AMA session at Launch! with Sai Boddupallil, Product Leader at Google.

A Product Manager’s forte is asking great questions! Take this opportunity to practice a core PM skill as you get your burning PM questions answered.

Please follow the outlined rules to ensure we all have an enjoyable and seamless session as we learn from Sai :slight_smile:

Meet The Speaker

Sai is a Product Leader with vast experience with the mobile game industry, payment platforms, and buyer experience. He is currently building Google Pay for India & ROW.

Read his full bio here

AMA Guidelines :

• This is a 48 hr text-based live-chat event that happens every other Friday
  • Drop your questions when the thread goes live and get notified when the speaker joins Friday 10:30 PT :watch:
  • Please only ask one question by replying to this topic, using the green Reply button at the bottom.
  • Make sure your questions are clear and well-thought-out :thinking_face:
  • Please don’t ask more than one question, so everyone can get a chance :wink:
  • See if someone asked a similar question first and feel free to upvote with a :heart:
  • If there are a lot of questions and no answers, let’s wait until our speaker has responded to a couple, then submit a question :timer_clock:
  • Your host will highlight the responses so you can follow them :pushpin:
  • Please do not reply to anyone else’s post. The only purpose of replies here on this topic is to ask our speakers one question. If you’d like to discuss a related topic in more detail, feel free to create a new topic in the designated category!
  • Respect others :grinning:

Posts not following these guidelines may be removed to keep the Q&A flowing.

The content in this AMA is for educational purposes only and does not include any specific facts about the company the presenter is currently working for. The opinions expressed in this AMA are solely those of the presenter based on personal experiences.

2 Likes

Hi Zaina,

Thank you for sharing this information with me. I am really excited about the session

I noticed that the notification email title says August 12th while the contents read July 1st.
I believe this may have been a typo error but it also gives the impression that it may have been a recently past AMA session…

• Rayo
1 Like

I am new to this community and hence pardon me if my questions are too elementary.

I missed a previous session today with Microsoft PM, as I was not able to find the link to live chat.

Please could you help me with the link on which the session would be live so I do not miss such opportunities again.

Thanks in advance.
Ritu

3 Likes

Hi! What’s the best approach to prioritisation considering financial and non financial OKRs? What do you think of the RICE framework?

2 Likes

Hey Sophia, thanks for your question! The way I see it, Key Results are Key Results - and that’s regardless of whether they are indicative of a financial KPI or not. Often times as a Product Manager, you will have competing KPIs and North Star Metrics and this is a result of having multiple stakeholders and user personas - all with their own unique needs. It’s up to the PM to determine which OKR needs the most attention at a certain juncture and then prioritise accordingly. There is no “right” framework, but choose one that works for you and one that allows you to explain your thought process clearly. As a PM you will often need to justify why one feature/work item is of higher priority than another.

3 Likes

Thank-you for this session.

What is the key quality/s that hiring managers look for when short listing candidates for product management.

Hey there thanks for your question! This depends from company to company, domain and experience level. To keep things simple, I’ll try and answer this from a generalist PM hiring POV. The main things I look on a standout PM resume are:

• Driving Insights: How does this candidate go about understanding their customer and then assimilating that knowledge to drive product needs?

• Working with Ambiguity: Most problems PMs solve are ambiguous in nature. If they weren’t, you wouldn’t need a PM to solve them: I would like to see instances where the candidate was able to take ownership of a vast, often undefined problem area and then add structure to it.

• Dealing with Data: The magic is often in the depths of unstructured data. I would like to see how a PM can take large samples of data, whether it is on consumer feedback, behaviour or usage patterns (to name a few) and clarify what this means from an insight POV. The insights then allow for feature ideas to develop.

These are just a few, but are crucial things I look for in a solid PM CV

2 Likes

Hey, I’m a product designer at a fintech firm and was wondering what exactly should I include in my portfolio? Concerning web design in specific because I see a lot of product portfolio’s with hardware engineering involved and I deal with web development from a UI/UX point of view.

Also some portfolio tips would be appreciated :slight_smile:

TIA

Hi Sai! As a product leader, what are some of the greatest challenges you face? And how do you approach solving problems?

Hi Sai, For a product manager whose product focus is to build api’s for other clients to consume(no front end/ UX). what are the technical/ soft skills/ hard skills that a product manager should acquire?

Hi there! Thanks for your question - a term that I’ve recently come to understand and appreciate more is “context switching”. What this basically means is switching between different problems/product areas that need your focus or immediate attention. Often times these problems are not related to each other and might be in completely different phases, but all take up an equally important part of your mental capacity. I find it very challenging being able to bounce from one area to another right away. What’s helped me tackle this comes down to:

• Setting clear expectations with your team and stakeholders: You can’t expect everyone to know everything that you are working on. State it clearly and let others know you need the focus time on one particular problem before you can bounce on to another one.

• As much as you can, plan your day/week in a manner where you can address one problem first and then move to another. This is easier said than done but as a PM you need to be as firm as possible. You are there primarily for your thinking and so it is up to you to figure out how you can extract the most from yourself.

1 Like

This is a great question and appropriate for where I am at right now as a Platform PM, having been more of a growth PM in other parts of my career. I do feel that a Platform PM needs a specific skillset given, as you rightly pointed out, there isn’t a frontend that dictates the user journey. What’s helped me most as a platform PM is:

• A good understanding of client/server architecture: A good Platform PM should want to get into the weeds and understand their product at a system level. You should understand from a backend POV what the key tables are, what the data model looks like, and what the APIs that you offer are designed to do (Request/Response). Being able to visualise the flow of information in your own mind will help massively.

• Asking good questions: Often times when you are a PM on a product with a pretty self-explaining frontend, you know right away whether something is working as intended or not, or what needs to be addressed and why. As a platform PM, many of the pain points are “invisible” to the naked eye - performance issues, partner consumption constraints with your product etc and asking the right questions of your engineers will help you understand why something needs your thinking or investment. Don’t feel afraid to look like a fool in front of your engineering team; I do it all the time :slight_smile: