About the Career Advice category

Product Career Advice

When it comes to your career, sometimes it feels like you could use all the advice you can get. Share your all-time best career advice you received thus far, from starting out at the bottom of the totem pole to advancing to a more senior position!

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

I learned this in the Army as a way to aim at a target and hit it every time. It’s carried me forward to all other aspects of life where you want to ‘get good’. Too often we rush in. We play at 120 bpm when we should start at 60. We try and make the world-conquering-product instead of the meaningful, hugely valuable iteration that keeps us in the black. Always aim for the top, but you can’t hit it if you can’t shoot straight the whole way up.

Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.

-JJ

1 Like

Best piece of advice I’ve learned is to never stop learning. Take every opportunity you can to take a class, join a conference, work with someone you haven’t before. With every perspective you come across you’ll learn something new. You will NEVER know everything so keep your mind open.

1 Like

An important piece of advice I’ve learned is that experience should not be used as a crutch, but instead to help guide direction.

1 Like

Best career advise I had was to keep curiosity alive.
This totally links with my personality as I’m always looking for new things to learn, asking several whys to understand how some things work.

1 Like

The best career advice I have ever received is to “Don’t love the destination, love the journey.”
It is so important to be cognizant of the daily hard work that will go into the process of achieving your goals and equipping yourself for it.

1 Like

Done is better than perfect.

Time matters.

1 Like

Be optmist! :slight_smile: and be resilient!

1 Like

Best piece of advice I’ve learned is to do research of the product your are building before you start the actual work. Research can include Is any other company use it, what do customers say about it, how it is going to benefit the customer and the company etc

1 Like